The Paul Harris Society, named for Rotary’s Founder, is made up of dedicated supporters who annually contribute $1,000 or more to the Annual Fund, PolioPlus, or an approved Rotary Foundation grant. The Paul Harris Society (PHS) recognizes Rotary members and friends of The Rotary Foundation who contribute with Paul Harris Society insignias and certificate. The insignias can be worn with other pins, including the Paul Harris Fellow Pin, Major Donor pin, Bequest Society Pin, and Arch C. Klumph Society Pin etc.
The purpose of the Paul Harris Society is to identify, engage, and thank members who have the ability and desire to make substantial annual gifts that help sustaining Rotary’s impact around the world.
- Flexibility in giving:
The gift of US$ 1000 can be given Monthly,Quarterly and Annually such as (a) US$85 monthly making 12 gifts a year (b) US250, 4 gifts a year and (c) US$ 1000 annually 1 gift a year. By doing so the contributor will be automatically become a member of the Paul Harris Society. Membership begins as soon as one makes the commitment.
- Paul Harris Fellow and Paul Harris Society Member:
A Paul Harris Fellow (PHF) has made cumulative contributions of US$1,000 or has been honored with a contribution of US$1,000 in his or her name. A member of the Paul Harris Society contributes at least US$1,000 each year to the Annual Fund, PolioPlus, or approved Foundation grants. Note that PHS members accrue points for contributions to honor others as Paul Harris Fellows.
- Joining Paul Harris Society: One can join the Paul Harris Society in several ways:
- Enroll in Rotary’s recurring giving program, Rotary Direct, at a level of US$1,000 or more (US$85 monthly, US$250 quarterly, or US$1,000 annually) and you automatically become a PHS member.
- Complete the Paul Harris Society brochure or handout.
- Contact your Paul Harris Society Coordinator, if your district has one or District Rotary Foundation Committee Chair (DRFCC). He or she can send the Foundation a list of those who have agreed to join the Paul Harris Society at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email or call Rotary’s Support Center (email@example.com, +1-866-976-8279) or the Rotary International office that serves your area and ask to join.
- Paul Harris Society Coordinators in RID 3292:
Each districtofRotary Internationalcan assignPaul Harris Society Coordinator. In RI District 3292 a Paul Harris Society Coordinator Committee has been formed with a Chair, Co-chair and members. The chair is PP Siddhi Bahadur Shakya and Co chair is DGND Kiran Lal Shrestha. The purposes of forming a committee is basically to (a) increase awareness about Paul Harris Society and (b) increase number of Paul Harrish Society members in the district and contribute to The Rotary Foundation for fulfilling the promises we make to improve our communities and communities around the world to change their lives.
It was in the year Rotary Year 2015/16 Past District Governor Ratna Man Shakya was appointed as Paul Harris Society Coordinator by then DG Keshav Kunwar. In the Rotary Year 2016/17 DG Jaya Shah gave continuity by appointing Past President of Rotary Club of Biratnagar Beni Gopal Mudra as the Paul Harris Society Coordinator. DG Sanjay Giri also gave continuity by appointing PP Siddhi Bahadur Shakya as Paul Harris Society Coordinator.
- Status of PHS in RID 3292: As of May 2015 numbers of Paul Harrish Society were 15 that were increased to 23 in the Rotary year 2016/17 and increased to 24in the earlier months of 17/18 (addition of one member). However after the effort of PHS Committee and DRFCC Jitendra Bahadur Rajbhadary by December 2017 the number increased to 42. It is yet to see how many PHS will be added in the remaining period of 2017/18. It is interesting to note that one Rotarian each became Arch Klumph Society (AKS) member in the Rotary year 2015/16 and 2016/17. Similarly as of 1st’ July 2015 numbersMajor Donors were 34 that were increased to 115 in the Rotary year 2017/18. Currently there are more than 30 eligible PHS members, which implies they have contributed US$ 1000 last year and if commit to contribute US$ 1000 every year they can be PHS members. The existing scenario on the number of PHS members reflects that not much has been done in the past for the promotion of PHS member in RID 3292. However the increase of 18 PHS members in past couple of months indicates that some efforts have been made recently for the promotion of PHS.
- Why should Rotarian be a PHS Member: In Rotary we give, give and give and this is what we say and this what we have been doing. As mentioned earlier all major donors are potential PHS members. However it seems that not much effort has been given to encourage them to be PHS members. Similarly lots of efforts are being made to increase number of Major Donors however there is inadequate effort to make Rotarians aware that being a PHS member is a ladder to become major donor step by step. If a club member becomes a PHS member at the same time he or she can make one Paul Harris Fellow (PHF)
- Way forward:There is no standard TOR for a Paul Harris Society Coordinator or Committee. As mentioned earlier the sole purpose of forming a committee is basically to increase number of Paul Harrish Society members in the district and contribute to The Rotary Foundation. Therefore the Paul Harris Society Coordination Committee, can take following actions.
- Have the committee meeting and plan to take further steps
- Keep the updated record of PHS members of the District (including brief profile)
- Organize a meeting with existing PHS members including DRFCC and (a) set target to add new PHS members (b) get ideas on how to move ahead
- Organize a meting with major donors, as they are potential PHS members.
- Share information about PHS to all the clubs
- Facilitate to give talk programme in clubs about PHS and benefits of being a PHS
- Book a time slot in regional meetings to present on PHS in coordination with Regional Coordinators of Region I-VII back to back with other regional events
- Facilitate interested Rotarians to become PHS members
- Facilitate recognize new PHS members with insignias and certificate during TRF recognition programme of the district
Prepared by Prafulla Man Singh Pradhan
District Secretary 2017/18
Major Donor Level I
Paul Harris Society Member
Home club: RC Yala