Breast Cancer is a major health problem among women throughout the world. Breast Cancer According to the latest WHO data published in 2020 Breast Cancer Deaths in Nepal reached 1,038 or 0.65% of total deaths. The age adjusted Death Rate is 8.50 per 100,000 of population ranks Nepal #172 in the world. In 2020, there were 2.3 million women diagnosed with breast cancer and 685,000 deaths globally. As of the end of 2020, there were 7.8 million women alive who were diagnosed with breast cancer in the past 5 years, making it the world’s most prevalent cancer. Though the disease is curable, most patients do not to get appropriate treatment mainly because of poverty.
Stand Up For Breast Cancer is a year-long charity program initiated by Nepal Cancer Hospital and Research Center (NCHRC) in associated with Rotary Club of Yala and Nepal Cancer Relief Society. The program provides free surgical treatment to a poor breast cancer patient. NCHRC provides free surgery to the breast cancer patient with support from many well-wishers and partners in service. NCHRC provides 50% discount on pathology, radiology and other investigations 100% discount on surgery charges, bed charges and medical consultations. The estimated cost of medicines and consumables worth Rs 25,000-50,000 is covered through the generous support of Rotary Club of Yala and Nepal Cancer Relief Society.
The following patients have received surgery and other treatment under the Standup for Breast Cancer program.
6. Kabita Kumari Chowdhary: Age 45 years old from sambhunath-12 Saptari, diagnosed with Carcinoma of Right Breast (right modified radical mastectomy level I and II done on 25 the November 2022 for carcinoma of right breast (Multicentric) Patient evaluated elsewhere for lump over right breast since 7 month. L/E: palpable lumps in right breast 4*3cm and 3*3 cm, few palpable axillary nodes in right axillary, no nipple discharge or retraction .left breast and axilla normal.
5. Dhan Kumari Adhikari: 35years old from Dhangadi, Kailali. Diagnosed with Carcinoma of Left Breast (Invasive carcinoma of NST), Post left MRM with Lymph node dissection, pT3N3a, ER/PR negative; Ki67:Positive (80-90%) post adjuvant chemotherapy, post Radiotherapy (40GY in 15# to left chest wall and left SCF). Left Breast MRM on Dec 04, 2016. Treatmentcomplete; patient visited hospital for her first 3-monthly follow-up on Aug 1, 2017.
4. Laxmi Devi Bista, 64years from Shibaganj, Jhapa. Diagnosed with Carcinoma inleft breast; invasive Ca, Grade II, Post Surgery (Left MRM ), pT2N0, Triple Positive. Now under Adjuvant Chemotherapy. The patient has undergone left breast MRM on July 27, 2017.
3. Durga Maya Thakuri: 44years from Terathum, Morang. Diagnosed with Carcinoma in right breast with metastatis in liver, lung and bone. Post Toilet Mastectomy, IDC pT4N3aM1 under palliative chemotherapy. Toilet mastectomy + Skin Graft on July 23, 2017.
2. Rohini Chaudhary: 50years from Ganga Parespur, Dang. Diagnosed withCarcinoma in leftbreast. Post MRM, pT3N3aM0, Triple negative, post chemotherapy. Left Breast MRM on Feb 28, 2017. Currently taking radiotherapy.
1. Mitra Kumari Dhimal: 46years from Dangihat. Diagnosed with Carcinoma in right breast with left fungating mass. The patient has undergone Toilet Mastectomy on Jan 05, 2017.